Farewell Gregg & Heidi!

By Josh | In Today's Workout | on June 3, 2013

The Hoss Family_CFW

Many of you know that the Hoss’ are moving back to California in June, and though my family is in California, this move will be very bittersweet for us.  Four years ago, we transferred from San Jose to Wilmington for Gregg’s job in the Coast Guard. We had no idea what Wilmington would be like, what people would be like, or if we would really like it here.  Gregg was skeptical about pulling this California girl away from her family and everything she’s ever known, and moving 3500 miles to the “other” coast.  Neither one of us would expect that we would LOVE Wilmington, and that our family would thrive in this city.
The last couple years in Wilmington have been phenomenal…we have made so many friends, many of them in the Crossfit community.  When I joined CFW, I was nervous and intimidated to even step into the “box”. There was no way I could do half the WODs and certainly not RX, especially only months after having a c-section with our second daughter. But through the constant support, enthusiasm, and words of encouragement from the instructors and everyone at CFW, I started to feel comfortable with doing what I could by scaling the WODs. I remember doing pull-ups with the widest band possible, pushups on my knees, picking up the 45lb bar and thought that was heavy! And what in the world was a snatch?? A clean and jerk?? But fast forward two years later; I’m the strongest, leanest and healthiest I’ve ever been! I’ve seen major changes in my body, and I’ve a better understanding of what my body can do in terms of my strength, endurance and stamina. Just within the last few months, I’ve PRd my back squat, split jerk, OHS, snatch, and did Fran in just over 5 min!

Heidi H. setting a new Overhead Squat PR of 105lbs for two reps yesterday!
All that said, I owe much of my success to CFW and the awesome friends that have motivated me to push harder and keep going! I’ve made lifelong friends with many of you and hope that our next Crossfit gym will have half of the caliber of folks we have met in Wilmington.  This has indeed been our home and we will miss Wilmington, CFW and all our friends here! All I can say is that Petaluma and the Crossfit there better bring it! They have some big shoes to fill!

–Heidi Hoss

There are two things that effect your life the most; the thoughts you have and the company you keep.  Luckily for me, I joined Crossfit Wilmington so these two facets of life could change me immeasurably.

When I started, I brought with me a solid foundation of fitness knowledge.  Despite that, I kept an open mind to the information I started to learn at CFW.  Paleo diet?  Train heavy to improve metcon times?  Run sprints to improve your endurance?  Get in better shape by training less?  This was all contrary to what I was taught, but I allowed myself to be my own guinea pig and tried it all.  As they say, the proof is in the pudding.  Here I sit four years later weighing 5 pounds less, having run the fastest 5K and half marathon of my life, and with an increase of 40 or more pounds on all of my lifts.  Additionally, I was able to do this with less pain, less hours in the gym, and turning 40 to boot!  I cannot thank CFW enough for what they have taught me and exposed me to.  I am a better athlete and healthier person for it.  I encourage everyone to at the very least give everything you are taught at CFW a try.  Do the mobility, follow the diet, read the articles posted, take advantage of your rest days, and I promise that only good things will come of it.

Gregg H. competing in the Masters Finals WOD at the Carolina Challenge this past weekend. Gregg went on to finish 2nd overall with Anthony H. finishing 5th. Great job fellas! Photo courtesy of Carolina Challenge.

That brings me to my second point about the company you keep.  I have met so many great people at CFW that it is impossible to thank them all.  All of you that transformed your bodies, battled injury and disease, didn’t use pregnancy or parenthood as an excuse, or proved that age is just a number, inspired me to try harder and push my limits.  Each person that greeted everyone with a smile, volunteered to help people they hardly knew, and offered their friendship freely taught me to be a better person.  My transient military life led me to live in many places, but Wilmington is the first place I consider home since childhood.  A big reason for that is the people I met and the friendships I formed at CFW.   You welcomed me and my family with open arms, and for that I am forever thankful. If any of you find yourselves in California wine country in the next 4 years, look us up!

-Gregg Hoss

DB Bench Press 5s x 3r

then…

AMRAP in 5 Minutes of…
1 Rope Climb (15′)
5 Power Snatches (115/85)

Rest 2 Minutes

AMRAP in 5 Minutes of…
5 Wallballs (16/10) * Throw as high as possible
5 Burpee over Abmat

Wilmington Weightlifting Club

Team training 5:30 PM
Power Snatch – heavy single
Then… 90% x 1, 95% x 1, 100% x 1
Power Clean & Power Jerk – heavy single
Then… 90% x 1, 95% x 1+1, 100% x 1
Snatch Pull – 105% (of clean) x 2 x 5
21-15-9
Box Jumps
Kettle Bell Swing

16 Comments to "Farewell Gregg & Heidi!"

• Kate says:

June 3, 2013 at 8:11 pm -

Do you HAVE to go???? It won’t be the same without you two!!!! Glad we’ve got a few WOD’s left :)

• Kelly Lehman says:

June 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm -

CFW definitely will be losing out when you guys head to California this month. Gregg, you have helped me so much since the beginning with your tips and guidance, and Heidi, you have been an awesome morning workout partner who would push me when I needed it. Thanks so much for the great company! I wish you and your family the best in the future. I am sure you will continue to experience much success and happiness! :)

• DIllon Paulus says:

June 3, 2013 at 8:15 pm -

Farewell friends. Gonna miss yall, be safe, have fun, and smile. Enjoy Cali.

• Grace S. says:

June 3, 2013 at 8:29 pm -

You both have been an absolute inspiration to me! Thank you Gregg for your wonderful training, caring and guidance. Thank you Heidi for being such a strong woman to look up to and such a motivational person in general! What a wonderful duo you are!! You will be so missed :) Best of luck to you in CA- I have some great Sicilian relatives there- beautiful state.

• Joe W. says:

June 3, 2013 at 8:45 pm -

Heidi-I think I will miss the big beautiful smile of yours the most and your ability to always be in a positive mood and never negative.

Berg-I hate to see my part time lifting partner hit the road. I have always loved training with you but more importantly have enjoyed our conversations (training, parenting, life, etc.). Going to miss ya man.

• josh says:

June 3, 2013 at 9:44 pm -

Heidi and Gregg, I am really going to miss you guys!
    Gregg , you are a tremendous coach, athlete and friend. I appreciate all that you have done to help CFW grow over the last 4 years.
    Heidi, I’ve watched as you’ve gone from timid to tenacious in your last 2 years with us (didn’t take long for the tenacious to come out!). You have always been a joy to coach through your attitude and attention to instruction. I will also miss your smile!
    I wish your beautiful family the best in California

June 3, 2013 at 9:45 pm -

Gregg and Heidi we are going to miss you guys! Gregg, you lead a great example for dads, men and athletes to follow. And Heidi – your progress at CFW was so rapid! Girl you are strong. Every time I look at your weights on the board I am in awe. Now you have a 5 minute Fran? Holy smokes.

Please make sure Quinn remembers that kiss with Hank. He will be waiting on her return :)

Love you guys and best wishes!!! Thank you for the positive footprint you left at CFW!

• eric says:

June 3, 2013 at 10:01 pm -

How can this be? The day has finally come. Sorry I missed the big party. Better off I would have teared up for sure. Good luck in Cal, I am sure you will be the gym favorites

Eric

• No GOOD says:

June 4, 2013 at 5:43 am -

To Greg and Heidi,
    You will be missed. I wish you the best of luck on this new adventure…can you hear it…listen…you can hear LL Cool J…I’m goin back to cali…..Military life takes us to places we thought would be the best time in our life and ends up becoming a disappointment and then you end up where you would never expect and it is the best thing that has happend to you. Then again I am a Marine and we usually go to nothing but s*** holes. You both hit the nailed on the head, CFW is a magical place, it is the only thing that kept me from moving back to ALASKA after I retired and that says a lot. I wish you and you little girls the best, Fair Winds and Following Seas my friends.

Your friend
    Ron “No GOOD” Holmes MSgt USMC (Ret.)

• Rhonda says:

June 4, 2013 at 6:51 am -

Gonna miss you both! Just a “see ya later” for now because I know ( hope) you’ll be back soon!! Gregg, thank you for all of your instruction and Heidi, thanks for always beastin’ out with me! I’ll never forget my first tire flip was you and I. Plenty of WOD moments for sure!
    The best!!

June 4, 2013 at 7:07 am -

So so so so sad….I will miss you both. Thank you guys for being such great mentors and role models. You guys have a beautiful family and love hanging out with you all. Heidi…you are a BEAST my friend. Loved looking at your times/weights/etc. on the board. Wow!!!! Talk about success.

Gregg, thanks for your coaching and positive encouragement throughout the years. I wanna be a lean, mean, crossfitting machine like you!

Best of Luck to an AMAZING family. You will all be greatly missed.

• Gregg says:

June 4, 2013 at 7:52 am -

I always love checking the WOD each day, but seeing everyone’s comments made it even better today! Thanks for the kind words. Amanda, it sounds like Hank and I need to have a little talk!
    We will be around until the end of next week so I hope to get in some last workouts with many of you.

June 4, 2013 at 8:40 am -

We are going to miss you and your family guys. The gym is going to be down one its best instructors. I hope the move brings nothing but good things and great experiences. You know you’re always welcome here.

• LTB says:

June 4, 2013 at 11:32 am -

you both were some of my first CFW friends when I joined up. so sad to see ya’ll go but happy for your family’s next adventure. i love seeing you both at the box. it’s always so much fun working out with you heidi…and having discussions about every topic under the sun. you’re such a strong girl! gregg you have been a great coach and an inspiration to all ages. you’ve taught me lots of tips i’ll always use, especially on handstand walks. best of luck, adventure and health to the Hoss Family on the west coast!

• Heidi H says:

June 4, 2013 at 12:40 pm -

Thanks everyone for the kind words and farewell wishes. CFW has been like our second family here and the friendships we’ve made have reiterated the fact that this is our home. We will be back to visit next year…who knows, maybe we will find ourselves in this neck of the woods sometime in the future! We will miss you all! Sniff, sniff…knowing me, there will be some tears shed next week as we finish out our last week in Wilmington. :(

• Barbara says:

June 4, 2013 at 1:09 pm -

It is going to be sad to see your family head west… it has been a blast having you both around in the “mid-mornings.” Heidi, before you leave, make sure Kelly A. sets her phone so that it does not text you after she checks the WOD! : D