Crystal C.

By cody | In Articles, Successes | on June 27, 2013

C.Cooper Pic

12 Weeks…

I’ve always been in the “average” category when it comes to body type and fitness level.  “Normal” weight, “standard” body fat percentage, not skinny but not fat, not weak but not strong…just “average”.

12 weeks ago when Crossfit Wilmington started the ‘Beach Body Weight Loss Challenge’, I thought to myself, “…sure…why not…I’ll give it a shot”.  Prior to this decision, I had already been Crossfitting 3-4 times a week for the past year and a half so I didn’t really expect a huge change, but I was hopeful.

So I streamlined my diet and ate predominately Paleo foods.  I didn’t make my own sauces or anything, but I cut out grains, sugars and alcohol and focused on lean meats, veggies and water.  Coming from a very, very Italian family where pasta and wine are served with every meal, this was the hardest, but most rewarding part of the whole challenge for me.  I learned that I could say “No” to pasta, sweets and crap food while feeling good about it.  I have changed the way I look at food from an emotional view to a physical view.  I actually understand what it means now to “eat to live, not live to eat”.

I also became more focused on Crossfit and fed off of the positive energy and encouragement from everyone at CFW.  I committed to 5 days/week WOD’s and threw in some extra cardio and/or abs after the daily WOD’s.  Nothing crazy…just a run, some GHD’s or a row after an AMRAP.  It only took a few more minutes to do but I felt more accomplished when I did extra.  I knew that I wanted more…so I had to do more.

CrystalFast-forward 12 weeks…

I’ve dropped 18 pounds and 5.2% body fat in only three months!  Overall, the changes I made were relatively easy modifications to my daily routine, but the results were extraordinary for me.  I am stronger than I have ever been and feel better than I thought possible.  I am comfortable with my body, my confidence has increased and I am happier in general.

Moral of the story…if you’re feeling like you’re in the “average” category or just in a rut…test yourself.  If I can do it…so can you!  Confront your fears head-on, defy the norms that society places on you and dare to be a better version of yourself.  Whether it’s a weight loss challenge through Crossfit or a personal challenge that you’ve always wanted to do, just go for it!  It could end up being one of the most rewarding decisions you make!

25 Comments to "Crystal C."

• Sara Clark says:

June 27, 2013 at 7:21 pm -

AWESOME CRYSTAL! You look great! Congrats on pushing yourself!

1. Patrick says:

June 27, 2013 at 7:25 pm -

Great job Crystal! You’re looking (and feeling) great – keep it up! You got the rest of your life living good, living well!

• Tracy says:

June 27, 2013 at 8:00 pm -

Great job!!

• Amy A says:

June 27, 2013 at 8:11 pm -

AMAZING!! So incredibly proud of you Crystal. You are a true inspiration!! That muscle-up will happen in NO time. ;)

June 27, 2013 at 8:25 pm -

Hot!!!! Congratulations on your lifestyle change! You look incredible and have worked your a*s off. Proud of you!

• Candace says:

June 28, 2013 at 9:51 am -

Firstly, you were never “average”. You have always been AWESOME– +/-5.2% body fat or not. BUT I do understand wanting to remind yourself just HOW awesome and capable you are, and did you ever. You radiate beauty and self-empowerment. Your achievements are sure to inspire, and that’s exciting. Now… time to rock that bod!!

• Lizzie C. says:

June 28, 2013 at 11:12 am -

You look awesome! Way to go!

• Jen S says:

June 28, 2013 at 11:26 am -

Damn Crystal!!! I guess I didn’t see you very much in the past 12 weeks cause I was just amazed at your transformation! I mean I’ve always thought of you as fit, but NOW…WOW! What you’ve accomplished is extremely impressive and motivational! I agree with Candace…time to Rock That Bod! :-)

• Crystal C. says:

June 28, 2013 at 12:04 pm -

Thank you everyone for your heartwarming responses! I am so blessed to have such a great group of people encouraging me every step of the way. CFW is truly an amazing place made up of incredible people and I am grateful to be a part of it! @Amy A Oh yes…the muscle up is def in my future! :)

June 28, 2013 at 3:22 pm -

Hell yea girl! You are so beautiful and strong! So proud of you and your awesome success!!!!!

• KQ says:

June 29, 2013 at 12:04 pm -

Great job, keep up the hard work. Gotta love CrossFit!

• Bryan Stoneking says:

June 29, 2013 at 12:14 pm -

So great! The little changes are usually the last pieces needed to finish off what you started. Way cool story.

• Tara says:

June 29, 2013 at 12:15 pm -

Hey crystal!
    I’m also a crossfitter from Israel. I would also describe myself as average. I did the 30 day paleo challenge saw some nice results but it wasn’t enough. I started 2 weeks ago again to watch what I eat, but decided to it this time full heartedly and without cheating and snacking. Your story here is very inspirational to me since I am beginning the same thing and am really really hoping to see good results. Thanks for sharing your story, hopefully soon I can do the same! Respect!

• Joan says:

June 29, 2013 at 12:16 pm -

You look amazing! It’s just what I needed to make a few changes myself. In good shape, eat pretty healthy, but needed an extra push to do better and look better, which I know I can
    . You just gave me that inspiration! Thank you!

• jennifer says:

June 29, 2013 at 12:20 pm -

You look awesome!! Those are some great results for someone who could already look good in a bikini. What did the challenge consist of..?

• Anastasia says:

June 29, 2013 at 12:30 pm -

Very inspiring! This has given me the courage to streamline my eating habits.

• delannoy says:

June 29, 2013 at 12:45 pm -

hi!
    very good job Crystal! it is very impressive, and let me congratulate you for all these sacrifices and pains you suffered!
    you can be proud. you look so nice !
    be the Force with you,
    Cédric, a crossfiter from France

• Porschepelle says:

June 29, 2013 at 1:58 pm -

Amazing job, Cristal!!! You have a new crossfit-fan in Sweden now! :) Regards, Pelle.

• Tommy says:

June 29, 2013 at 3:23 pm -

I thought Crossfit was about performance and not so much the looks. Any new PRs? Improved times, improved lifts? That’s what I am interested in. An even better look in your bikini is just a nice side effect.

• Kat says:

June 29, 2013 at 3:41 pm -

I find your story very inspiring. Thanks for sharing!!

• Lois says:

June 29, 2013 at 3:53 pm -

What an achievement! Well done! You look like a true athlete :-)

• Daniel E says:

June 29, 2013 at 6:42 pm -

Fantastic job Crystal! Question: did you have any dairy and/or protein powders? I am looking at going paleo with those two still included.

Tommy – unless you are trying to get into the Crossfit games, who says look/body comp can’t be your main goal? Sure you are trying to perform your best every day, but unless you are a competitor or in a job that requires the functional fitness (military, fire, etc), the number on the whiteboard really doesn’t mean anything compared to how you look and feel.

June 29, 2013 at 8:26 pm -

I’m very proud. The good things that happen at CFW and WSC and all the great people that train here are what make it all worth the while! Thanks for sharing Crystal.

• Shanna says:

June 30, 2013 at 11:12 am -

Thank you for sharing your story Crystal! You are an inspiration for us fellow Crossfitters who feel the same way you did at the beginning of your challenge…the feeling of being able to step it up, dig deep within, and do MORE. Your hard work and discipline has truly paid off. You look AMAZING! I’m inspired to do my own 12 week challenge with before and after pics. I wish you the best and keep up the good work!!!

• Mike Crowell says:

July 5, 2013 at 9:55 pm -

Congrats Crystal…I’m in the same boat so I have know…what was the difference? Thx for any advice. M.