Marcie’s Path to the 2013 CrossFit Games

By cody | In Articles, Successes, Training | on May 1, 2013

Marcie trains hard at 6:00 am daily. . . and it shows.

Hi, my name is Marcie Wells and I would like to share with you a little bit about my extraordinary crossfit journey.  I, like most cross-fitters became hooked after my first class. It didn’t matter if I knew what I was doing or not. All I knew was, this is darn exciting. So, yes, I drank the cool-aid and lots of it. With only five months under my belt I signed up for the 2011 Open. Humbled by amazing athletes, I ended up tied for 60th place.  I just made  the cut! Knowing my limitations, I chose to go to Regionals as a team member.  In the end it was the right decision, because the first workout for individuals was 30 HSPU’s. A skill I could only do 3-5 of on a good day.  After, Regionals I decided I had a lot of work, skills and strengths to improve on for the next year. Right away I began training hard and even harder with no real direction. I ended up with mild shoulder and knee injuries.  This left me no choice but to slow down, heal and re-evaluate my crossfit plans. Before I knew it the 2012 Crossfit Open was upon me and I went to Regionals again. This time as an individual.  Being in that heightened competitive atmosphere gets you so pumped up!  You want to do your best and it causes you to want more out of your crossfit endeavor.

This led me to my new dream, to go to California for The World Crossfit Games! At this point one thing was very clear, I needed to change gyms. I joined CFW in 2012. By changing gyms I knew I would gain a much higher level of training. Right away everyone was welcoming, helpful, and full of knowledge! It has been one of the smartest choices I have made in my athletic pursuits.
   2012marcie The question I now had to ask myself was, Marcie how are you going to do your part. With only 10 months to make this happen I knew my whole routine had to change. I cleaned up my diet, no alcohol or junk food, added in more stretching, occasionally yoga, added ice, sauna, massages, chiropractor, mobility work, hand care, proper rest days, regular sleep pattern, no late partying, supplements, focused attitude, no excuses policy, even trained on vacations, posted a handmade motivational poster in my car, on the fridge, in the bathroom, and another as my phone screen saver, and puff painted motto’s on my CFW jacket. In addition to all that, I had to ask for help from the coaching staff/Tony for a program to help my dream become a reality.
Without hesitation, the coaching staff of CFW put me in strength and conditioning for 6 months. Next, into Olympic lifting classes. After that, strength and met-cons. Then, we put it all together before the 2013 Open began. Once the Open launched and scores came in each week the closer I got to that dream. Now, fast forward to the closing of week 5 of the 2013 Open.  I made the top 20 in the world in my age group. I am going to California for The World Crossfit Games!  The icing on my paleo cake- I was recently asked to join CFW Team for regionals!  Now I have the awesome pleasure of being a part of a team that has some of the best athletes in the Mid-Atlantic on it. What an honor for me!
     So, the moral of the story is, don’t be afraid to dream and go after your dream. If you put your mind and body into it, it will happen. Push yourselves, sometimes the harder we push the greater the reward! Remember one of CFW’s saying “If you want more, you have to do more.”
Finally, I need to make mention of the overwhelming amount of unconditional support and helpful tips I Marciehave received all year long from co-workers, friends and CFW. Thank you all very much. Please know that I am utterly grateful to each of you involved.  My morning crew, you know who you are – thanks. Without all of you this would not have been possible. I am so appreciative and proud to know each of you! Let me finish with a special thank you to my family who have been a tremendous help to me while I pursue my goal.
Thanks you all and keep the advice coming,
Marcie Wells
marci

12 Comments to "Marcie’s Path to the 2013 CrossFit Games"

• cody says:

May 1, 2013 at 2:29 pm -

Great job Marcie! You are one of the most dedicated people I have ever met and the positive energy you bring to those around you is something special. I have enjoyed watching the progress you have made for the past 10 months at CFW and look forward to your success in the future. Thank you for being a great training partner and teammate.

• Whitney Ross Gray says:

May 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm -

I love being in the same gym as you, Marcie, you are so dedicated and such an amazingly hard worker. It is very inspirational. Best of luck in the games.

• Lizzie C. says:

May 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm -

Really inspiring! Good luck to you!

• Heidi Higgins says:

May 1, 2013 at 4:02 pm -

I can’t express in words how proud I am of you and so glad that I have been able to travel this journey with you. Crossfit has brought us together to become friends and I’m thrilled to be part of the group going to Carson to cheer you on. You truly are an inspiration! On a side note: my new morning group is amazing but I do miss you and Lidia…..

• Kelly Lehman says:

May 1, 2013 at 7:07 pm -

What a great story, Marcie! You are an inspiration and role model, not just because of your hard work and obvious ability but also because of your ever present friendly, helpful attitude. Thank you. I am sure all of your efforts will reap great rewards at the Games.

May 1, 2013 at 7:26 pm -

Marcie, I never had any doubt that you were going to find even better success this year. Your passion and determination remain unmatched (as does your work capacity!). You have proven yourself time and time again. I couldn’t ask for a better role model / rabbit / athlete / woman to train along beside. You are going to own the podium in Carson! (and in Landover might I add :) ).

• Joe W. says:

May 1, 2013 at 8:46 pm -

Marcie you are the best. I love everything about ya. Your intensity and ability to not shy away from any challenge is why your going to Cail. and I look forward to your motivation and help over the next month.

May 1, 2013 at 8:48 pm -

Marcie is damn near the perfect athlete… dedicated, mentally tough, and determined. It helps she is physically gifted, but she is so much more than that. I watched her struggle with the heavy weights the 2012 Regionals programmed. I also watched her watch our ladies toss those weights around. After that, I had an idea she might make the switch to learn the strength side of things. She came to us completely willing to do whatever we suggested. I’m proud she felt she could trust us. She had the metcon thing wrapped up, so we spent more than six months with her doing strength work in the Wilmington Strength & Conditioning program just to switch to heavy Olympic lifting for a few months. It wasn’t until three weeks before the open that she, and the rest of the CFW team began doing metcon work. I have to say, Marcie has responded very well. She smoked the light metcons of the open. Now she will compete on the CFW team at Regionals and as an individual in the Master’s 40 year old division at the Games in California. I can’t wait. She is a pleasure to coach. Thanks Marcie.

• Margo foster says:

May 1, 2013 at 8:58 pm -

Marcie, Marcie, Marcie….congratulations!
    You did it, and I am so very proud of you. Keep up the training for July when you get to California.
    You are my hero!
    Love,
    Aunt Margo

• Stephanie says:

May 2, 2013 at 1:34 am -

awesome job marcie your story is incredible i loved reading this def an inspiration for sure! youll kick ass at the games i cant wait to watch! keep up the amazing work!

May 2, 2013 at 9:06 am -

Marcie you are an inspiration. I love your enthusiasm for not only yourself, but everyone in the gym! You push yourself to the limit and you know exactly how to push your fellow athletes! I love watching you in the gym. So proud of you and all of your success! You are a BEAST!

• Brock Wilson says:

May 2, 2013 at 3:02 pm -

Marcie your fitness is fuc*in’ ridiculous! We are all pulling for you here across town!