Dumb Food Labels

By t. | In Articles, Nutrition | on May 20, 2013

Most of us know food labels can be misleading.  But more times than not, people are just uneducated on what to look for to see the food companies’ misleading info.  So who’s fault is it?  Oddly, in this one case, I think the government (like Finland and New Zealand do) should be involved and actually looking out for our people.  I’m only guessing that will never happen.  The food companies are a huge lobby and so are the pharma companies.  Not to mention, they wouldn’t want to shift focus from nationalized health care and actually do something that will lead to healthy people.  I digress…

One of the most common confusing label issues are the serving size / serving per container.  For example, a 20oz Mt Dew has 31 grams of MtDew_20oz sugar per 8oz serving.  That’s 77 grams of sugar.  That’s more sugar than most of us need in total carbs each day.  There are people that drink three or four of them a day!  Is there any wonder dialysis clinics are the fasting growing medical facilities in the US?

Another very common issue with food labels is the carb / sugar separation.  I see it as a good thing because it allows me to quickly see how much sugar is in a food item (the second thing I look for after I clear the ingredients list).  For the uneducated it just clutter on the label.

You need to know labels that claim organic, free range, hormone free or anti-biotic free are subject to the FDA’s very loose guidelines.  The gov’t claims their guidelines are strict.  But that is far from the truth.  For a product to be labeled organic it most only meet 95% of the guidelines.  A product can gain the label “100% Organic” if it is truly.  Take a look at the grocery, there aren’t many foods with a label that reads 100% Organic.  I look at it like this…  either you are, or you are not.  Organic should mean it is organic.

The best one so far, for me, is this one from Fresh Market (below).  Whoever posts to comments first the misleading info contained in this ad gets a new CFW t-shirt or tank.

-t.

Fresh Market Advertisement

7 Comments to "Dumb Food Labels"

May 20, 2013 at 8:26 pm -

Steve J. of CF Burn won the tank. Check our FB page to see the answer.

• Sara Bacon says:

May 20, 2013 at 8:26 pm -

Vegetarian diet…aka soy junk food!

• Taylor says:

May 21, 2013 at 12:59 pm -

A vegetarian pig is not a very reputable pig. I wouldn’t eat it.
    About food labels: I also see crazy things labeled just to get you to think you are eating healthy. For example on a package of gummy bears at the check out line the other day I notices in HUGE writing was GLUTEN FREE. Wow, way to jump on the band wagon. Since when was there gluten in gummy bears?!
    One that im confused about is all these new egg packaging or egg companies in the grocery stores. I try to only eat eggs from farmers I know, but sometimes you just run out and need to go to a grocery. SO, they are all labeled FREE RANGE and organic. And then when you look closer EVERY one of them says fed a vegetarian diet. WTF? Since when is a chicken a vegetarian and not eating bugs and lizards? How can giving them ‘free range’ to eat their natural food, make them go find some BS soy and grain pellets? This is just stupid.

• taryn says:

May 22, 2013 at 8:56 pm -

so what kind of labels should we be looking for? I am one of those people that assumed vegetarian fed sounded healthy. They got me!! Where are some of the best places to purchase grass fed, bug fed, animals here in Wilmington? If it is “organic” does it mean the animals eat their natural food. HELP!!!

• Taylor says:

May 23, 2013 at 2:26 pm -

Taryn, If you think about what vegetarian fed animals are eating, it pretty much means soy products and grain–mostly to fatten them up, meanwhile leaving them in poor health which is then passed on to us as we consume them. You can order GREAT meat from Hill Top Farms, here in NC. You place an order on line (just Google them) and then they do a drop off to Wilmington once a month. If you need something more immediate, Whole Foods is my main shopping choice, although I think Tidal Creek also may have some good stuff. Eggs are a little bit different to shop for. It helps if you know of someone who raises chickens. A little bit of asking around will surely lead you to a few good contacts, of not, Craig’s list may be a good idea to check. Just make sure you ask them what they are feeding their chickens. You don’t want to find a private farmer and then realize they are just feeding them store bought, low quality grain feed. Organic is a HUGE gray area. There are government standards as to what can be called ‘Organic’. and they are very loose at times. It basically means that foods are produced only using the minimum pesticides. That’s right, just the minimum. Don’t be fooled into thinking it means NO pesticides. That would just be crazy, wouldn’t it?! Any how, Organic does have its place in nutrition. There are studies that show produce raised in organic environments yield a product with significantly higher nutrition densities. There is always controversy to this Organic topic and I have no idea how much of it is BS or not; but depending on the product, I tend to lean towards the organic option myself–unless its a product that is obviously a marketing ploy/scam. I hope this helps.

• Rhonda says:

May 23, 2013 at 9:27 pm -

Mountain Dew = bombed out teeth. I worked at a Dental Medicaid clinic for several years and witnessed case after case of Mountain Dew mouth…along with other habits i shall not detail. I heard drinking this crap is like consuming 19 spoon full of sugars.

• taryn says: