Becky’s Story

By Josh | In Today's Workout | on December 5, 2012

Evolution or Epidemic
by Brady Cooper on EliteFTS.com

At times, some of the simplest things in life can be the most amazing. Take a young child for instance. As we grow, we learn through trial and error. As a baby learns to crawl, stand, and eventually walk, he fails many times. However, he doesn’t have any concept of failure. He doesn’t get frustrated and he doesn’t give up. The only thing that makes sense to him is to get up and try again.

Read entire post here on EliteFTS.com

[box_content]

I used to be one of the “elliptical women” at the gym who never lifted weights. When I joined Crossfit this summer, I was one of the weakest (probably the weakest) person in my classes. I always used the 15 lb barbell – what I called “the baby bar” – instead of the regular-sized barbell and I needed a small dumbbell for any one-handed kettle bell work because even the smallest kettle bell was too heavy. My weakness, coupled with an old running injury, made me imbalanced and susceptible to injury so the Crossfit crew recommended that I focus on my strength with one month at WSC. I had such a marvelous time and saw such great results in Casey’s 5:15 class that I stayed for two. Even though I’ve still got a ways to go before I’m doing prescribed weights in the WODS, the change in my strength was more than I thought possible in such a short amount of time. Since transitioning back to Crossfit two weeks ago, I haven’t needed the “baby bar” for any of the WODs and I was finally able to use a kettle bell for one-handed ground-to-overheads that was heavy enough to give me a big bruise on my arm. That bruise might be a rainbow of ugly but it’s a reminder of how strong WSC made me and a challenge to keep getting stronger.
-Becky

[/box_content]

Team Competition #11

AMRAP in 4 Minutes of…
Rope Climb (15′ All)
1 Point for each Ascent
3 Point’s for each Ascent w/ No feet (feet may be used on Descent)

Rest 3 Minutes

AMRAP in 2 Minutes of…
Double Unders
3 Points per Double Under
* Scale is 1 point per Single Under

Rest 3 Minutes

AMRAP in 4 Minutes of…
5 Box Jumps (24/20)
10 KB Swings (24/16)
* Score = Total Number of Reps Completed

8 Comments to "Becky’s Story"

• Josh says:

December 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm -

Great work Becky! The strength gains you made in WSC are definitely showing in your Crossfit WOD’s.

December 6, 2012 at 7:12 am -

My favorite Becky quote: “I can get this!” I love that attitude. Nice work Becky!

• Patrick A. says:

December 6, 2012 at 7:30 am -

I love rope climbs, until I get burnt, Sara!

December 6, 2012 at 8:31 am -

Becky, your bruise is just proof that you aren’t scared of challenges. It’s easy to develop a cruise-control attitude in crossfit….clearly you haven’t! Great job!

• taylor says:

December 6, 2012 at 9:44 am -

Man! I watched Becky beast through a WOD on Tuesday and I will tell you what- I was so pumped and worked up at the end of it, I coudln’t believe I was just the one watching! I didn’t lift one single weight, but watching this girl conquer all those cleans and snatches, I was pretty much in awe of some serious heart. It doesn’t matter if you are the first one done, or the last one done; if you are laying on the floor, drenched in sweat, heart pumping and muscles throbbing…you got what you came for. Happy Thursday everybody! Go get some :)

• Becky says:

December 6, 2012 at 11:44 am -

Thanks guys. Of course I got another bruise from Tuesday but it was worth it to do 75 lbs for all 30 cleans. I’m slowly inching my way towards that prescribed weight.

• Sara C says:

December 6, 2012 at 4:23 pm -

rope burns make you manly! (no, but really, I hope you cleaned them. staph….)

I loved today’s workout! So much fun! jumping, climbing, bouncing, throwing sh*t in the air. All the high points! If we just had a jungle gym and a bouncy castle, I’d never leave.

• Ian says:

December 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm -

Who smiles that big during snatches?