Fat Loss Tips From a Doctor

By t. | In Articles, Nutrition | on October 3, 2012

I was just reading an article in a medical journal about Juvenile Arthritis.  In this journal, I found a wonderful article with tips for fat loss written by an MD.  Below are the tips and a one sentence summary of the author’s explanations of each.  Enjoy…

1. Use small dishes to serve food.  It makes the portions appear larger
  2. Drink more water.  It fills you up with no calories.
  3. Get more sleep.  Restful sleep supports fat loss.
  4. Get support.  Fat loss is easier with a group.
  5. Use your weak (non-dominant) hand when eating snacks.  Studies show you will eat less.
  6. Eat slowly.  Taking time to savor your food allows you to fill up appropriately.

Seriously?

The title of this article, instead of “Easy Fat Loss Tips”, should have been “Fat Loss Tips That Will Never Work… Written By a

Maybe Ice Cream is this MD’s perfect food… it is self regulating on how quickly you can eat it. Too slow and it melts. Too fast and you get a headache.

Moron”.  Not only was there no real information backing up the tips, but it pretty much negates the likely fact that a person who cannot control themselves and not eat junk, probably doesn’t have the discipline to force themselves to use their non-dominant side to shove snacky-cakes into their heads.

Smaller dishes?  I can’t even think of anything to say about that.  Water to fill up on?  Yeah…  I’m sure good ol’ H2O is going to satisfy.  More sleep.  Definitely.  That’s the only intelligent one.  Get a team together?  That’s all Weight Watchers and it doesn’t work.  You can watch the weight come right back on after they stop the program.  Eat slowly…  again, it is simply doubtful this behavior change is one that will affect fat loss.

When will we demand our medical community be more responsible?  This type of article should offend anyone who reads it.  It’s lip service to a greater problem our tax dollars are having to cover.

8 Comments to "Fat Loss Tips From a Doctor"

• Taylor says:

October 3, 2012 at 10:48 am -

Pretty infuriating. I mean seriously, this was their advice. I agree. stupid .

• Noelle says:

October 3, 2012 at 8:14 pm -

Time to pick a fight with the industry. http://journal.crossfit.com/2012/10/what-should-we-eatand-why.tpl

• Brock Wilson says:

October 3, 2012 at 9:14 pm -

The Picture caption is my favorite part!

• Pedro says:

October 4, 2012 at 6:54 pm -

hmmm….. Use my non dominant hand to eat….Is this the dieting version of the stranger?

October 7, 2012 at 10:24 am -

hahaha.

• gary nelson says:

October 10, 2012 at 8:05 pm -

I always check out this website before buying any products in weight loss – http://www.weightlossgurl.com My personal favourite is Fat Loss Factor because you get a flatter belly in under 7 days – while still being able to enjoy the foods you love.

• Gloria says:

October 13, 2012 at 9:44 pm -

Tony, you are right about this being stupid and ineffective. But as one who deals with the ignorant masses on a daily basis, you and I both know that the effective stuff like self control has to be dumbed down significantly. Additionally, I would bet this article’s target audience is the average sedentary American who wants a pill that will cause anal seepage and malabsorption syndrome in order to lose weight. thus the author may be attempting to offer “alternatives” to the pill potion. And on top of that, it looks like these “tips” are more geared to eating less by tricking the brain not losing fat. Surely everybody knows you have to move that fat ass in order to move fat.

• Nate says:

October 19, 2012 at 2:53 am -

Obviously, you can’t please everybody. Some might agree with the doctor’s tips while others don’t. I think eating slowly pretty much works for me. Diet or not, sodas are still filled with calories so drinking water is a healthier choice.