Parenting: Be the Grown Up.

By t. | In Articles, Mindset | on September 12, 2012

[pullquote align="left" type="simple"]Notice: If you are a parent that provides boundaries and holds your child or children accountable for their actions, you will most likely enjoy and agree with this article. If you are one those parents that believes your child or children has free will to explore his or her world (or some other liberal excuse for not applying discipline to your offspring), you will find this offensive. [/pullquote]

My Dad used to remind me often he was in charge.  I couldn’t tell you how many times I heard “I brought you into this world, I can take you out.”  My sisters and I may have tried to buck him a few times…  ok, mostly my younger sister and I.  My older sister was an adult by the age of 7 or 8.  Either way, I tested my Dad constantly and so, I received constant reminders he was in charge.  I belonged to him and he didn’t give into the pressures of  “the easy way”.  If he told me to eat the dinner my Mother prepared, I either ate it immediately or I sat at the table until I did.  Once my little sister attempted to throw a dinner away and say she’d eaten it.  Dad knew better, dug it out of the trash and returned the meal to her plate and my sister  back at the table.  She gave her food to the dog.  Smart huh?  Not so much…  she paid for it the old fashioned way and gained a better understanding of another of my Pop’s sayings…  “Ya gotta pay to play”.  Funny, she never tried to repeat that particular stunt.

Responsible parenting…  it is worth it.

Those where the good ol’ days of “traditional” discipline.  When children had parents who had no issue giving a child boundaries and true “incentives” for not  crossing them.  It worked for tens of thousands of years just fine, but us Americans are arrogant and believe we can improve on tried and true methods.

Let me preface the next part with I have no children.  I have never experienced the tremendous “stress” of having a youngan that tests me at every turn.  I know they purposefully do everything they can to ruin your life.  They do everything they can to keep you from doing what you want.  Worse, they constantly crave attention.  They are horrible, selfish little creatures that only care about themselves.  I empathize with your parenting woes.

Not really, you had them.  They are your fault.  If you didn’t plan on raising them to be a productive citizens, why did you have them?  They need boundaries, rules, and your constant attention.  They need you to be a role model and set the example.

They also need good nutrition to support development.  The old adage that you can eat whatever you want when you’re young is crap.  Children need better nutrition than you.  How many of you parents go to a restaurant and order grilled fish and veggies but get the kids orders of fried chicken fingers, mac and cheese, and french fries?  Yeah, yeah, I know…  I don’t understand what a pain in the a** it is to hear them cry and fuss in public.  I get it, it’s just easier to feed your babies crap.  Whatever is easier, I guess.

5 bucks says this kid has Mountain Dew in his sippy cup.

Look around…  America is fatter and less healthy than ever before.  It’s parents faults.  Yes, YOUR fault.  There is someone to blame in this case.  As I write this I’m sitting in a popular restaurant that is known to hire attractive waitresses (no, not Hooter’s).  All I see are thin, but soft and fat 20-24 year olds who live off french fries, cereal, and soft drinks.  Their parents allowed them to eat crappy foods and they don’t know the difference.  We all know McDonald’s and Mt. Dew is bad for us.  But because cooking a healthy meal is too difficult or time consuming or whatever lame excuse for neglecting your child you’d like to insert here, you roll through the drive thru and get them fast food you know is hurting them.

If I fed my dogs what most Americans feed their children, I’d be considered cruel.  Think about it, if you saw me feeding my pups Big Macs, fries, Skittles and a Monster drink it would freak you out.  You would look down your nose at me and judge me an irresponsible pet owner.  But it’s ok to feed it to your children?

How about this?  If you witnessed a parent using a taser on a kid for acting out you’d say it was abusive and hurtful and call 911.  Yet you’re ok with feeding your child toxic chemicals that you know lead to cancers and highly processed carbs that cause Diabetes.  I’d argue the pain and effects of poisoning your child over years is arguably far worse neglect than jolt from a taser.

Don’t handicap your children by making their lives easy.” - Robert A. Heinlein

I’m guessing this kid isn’t eating Paleo.

So right now, you have one of two reactions to what I’m saying.  Either you’re saying to yourself  “Hell yeah, someone is calling out lazy parents for taking the easy route” or you think I’m an insensitive ass “that doesn’t understand what it is like”.  If you are the first, congrats… your kids stand a chance.  If you are the one dismissing me because I don’t have kids and you allow your little ones to eat whatever they want…  good luck.  Go ahead and get your little one health insurance… they’ll be needing it.

So I’m not one for pointing out a problem without providing a solution.  A common thing I hear is that “Little Johnny” doesn’t like broccoli and will not eat it.  First, if you’re doing it, your child will be more apt to.  One of most important parts of leadership is setting the example.  If that doesn’t work try my Dad’s approach.  In other words, invoke the other part of leadership…  discipline.  Sooner or later “Little Johnny” will get hungry enough to appreciate broccoli and all its nutrition.

Seriously, the only way we’re going to get healthier as a nation is for you to feed your children healthy foods now.  You had them, they are your fault, so now take care of them.  Be the grown up.
-t.

[divider]

12 Comments to "Parenting: Be the Grown Up."

• Molly says:

September 13, 2012 at 9:29 am -

t. –
    LOVED this article! Feeding and exposing our children to toxic food/products (detergents, cleaning agents, personal care items etc.) is child abuse. People often wonder why young girls are physically maturing at younger ages, or why their kids have ADHD, or any of the other modern day “ailments”….it is caused by the growth hormones, chemicals, toxins, steroids etc, that is put in our bodies. Our ancestors did not have these problems, and with the knowledge that is at our disposal we shouldn’t have them either. I am glad you don’t care if people think you are an ass or not….this article was awesome!

• Sensei says:

September 13, 2012 at 12:24 pm -

I would gladly give you more experience in the parenting department.

I could use a few nights of Tony.

HA! Excellent article.

• Sensei says:

September 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm -

LOL,. I meant OFF, Tony. wow…..thaaaat’s awkward…

1. Shawn K says:

September 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm -

Muahahahahhaahah!!!!

• Kenny says:

September 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm -

another childless, parenting expert

• Allen says:

September 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm -

Parents always have excuses for not taking care of the kids. The is no good reason for feeding your child junk food only ignorance, laziness and selfishness. In the end there are no irresponsible parents. There are only irresponsible people. Then they have kids. It is easier to have kids than it is to get a drivers license. You don’t have to be an expert on parenting to call out parents for not taking care of their children.

• Whitney Ross Gray says:

September 13, 2012 at 7:45 pm -

This article is spot on. I say keep it up with the shitty parenting because my kids will have an edge in the future.

September 13, 2012 at 7:53 pm -

Kenny, I doubt there is any such thing as an expert on parenting. I don’t claim to an expert on anything, only learning about anything I can everyday. If there are viable reasons (not excuses) for allowing a child to eat junk food, I would love to learn about them. It has been my observation and experience that there are only excuses, never reasons, for bad behaviors. But if there is one, even just one, viable reason to allow a child to feed on junk food, please post it.

There won’t be one posted. It doesn’t exist.

When I do get to observe responsible parents and the irresponsible ones, I create opinions based on those observations. Some parents can manage their children, some cannot. I’ve heard the argument it is too expensive to feed children healthy food. But I see families of meager incomes where the children eat clean. I also see families that can afford day care and full time nannies who allow the youngans to feed on whatever they want. Why is that?

I go back to the puppy thing. It is more taboo in our country to buy a pet and neglect it, than it is to have a child and neglect it.

• Albert Steed says:

September 13, 2012 at 9:14 pm -

As a parent I did enjoy this article. Other than when t told my 4 year old to get a job, hah, I think he has some good insights. As a parent I can tell you that I work on my kid’s diet as much as I can. Some of the things that are harder with kids is dealing with child care providers and schools. It defenitly takes some additional effort to work towards clean eating but it is worth it to teach positive habits.

The only one thing I will offer up is that just like me and my diet I can’t claim perfection and I won’t make my kid that way either. We can get to neurotic about diet and starting off my kid that way isn’t what i want to do. If he is at a party and wants a piece of cake then he can have one. If he was good all week and wants a cookie, I am going to buy him one. While these may not be the best for him they are mostly just sugary fun for him and that is part of being a live is to have some fun even if you know it isn’t the best for you (ala, having that glass of wine or the tequilla every once and a while). That to say I do things that are treats and not as staples in his diet.

He at 5 knows the difference between what is good for him and what is not nutrious but, okay from time to time for a sugar rush.

That is my 2 cents.

• Allie says:

September 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm -

I love it! I have none of my own but I have 5 nieces and nephews. My brother travels for work and his wife is a critical care nurse. Their lives are crazy. Yet their kids are snacking on and ASKING FOR avocados and carrots and nuts, etc. I have yet to see any of them eating anything else. You will also see them playing outside, not on some electronic game. They have responsible unselfish awesome parents. Why have kids just to ruin their lives from the start?!

• Jared R says:

September 19, 2012 at 5:38 pm -

t,
    Great article, if you want some more fuel for your fire check out the book French Kids Eat Everything. The book outlines 10 simple rules for kids and eating that predate the food industry.
    Also well done to quote Heinlein.
    Jared

• Sara Clark says:

September 20, 2012 at 3:37 pm -

I like this. My parents were called once because my dad sent me to school with a can of vegetable beef soup, a can opener, some fresh veggies in a sandwich baggie, and a mason jar with homemade limeade in it. The school took my lunch box, and told me I had to eat the school lunch (some form of alleged ‘pizza’, tater tots, and that weird jello with whip “topping” and chocolate milk. The told my parents my lunch was not suitable for a child, and, even better, that the can opener and mason jar weren’t safe.. My family wasn’t paleo, but my brother and I knew that any kind of cereal besides raisin bran was a treat, and that soda was out of the question. even though we don’t have an athletic background, and we both went to super-nerd high schools, somehow we never ended up overweight. We might not have been the pictures of athletic prowess, but we were raised to eat pretty well. It has made the transition to eating very well much easier.