Andrew G. Success Story

By Josh | In Successes, Today's Workout | on July 24, 2012

Andrew G’s Crossfit Experience

For the majority of my life I have been part of or a member of a team.  I have played and competed in almost every mainstream sport, except football.  In high school swimming became my main focus.  After graduating high school I went to University of Pittsburgh and was a member of their swimming and diving team.  After just one year I left Pittsburgh and spent some time at home before transferring to UNCW in fall 2010 as a student athlete and member of their swim and dive team.
Lifting weights and cross training (running, calisthenics, abs) is a big part of any successful athlete, especially a swimmer.  In January 2012, about 2 months after my college and presumably entire swim career came to an end, I finally pulled the trigger and decided to join a Crossfit gym.  I knew a little bit about the concept and principles behind Crossfit workouts but not too many details or philosophies in depth.  My initial plan was to check out a handful of area Crossfit gyms to get a sense of where I may like to get my start.  That plan quickly changed after coming to Crossfit Wilmington first.  I almost immediately decided to come back later that night to start the intro classes after speaking with Josh for just ten minutes.  This is a decision that has truly changed my life for the better.
After years of traditional workouts I wanted and needed something new to keep my interest.  Also something that was going to be challenging and get me back in shape like I was when I was swimming 6+ miles 6 days a week.  When I was in the best shape of my life I was around 170 lbs, 6 feet tall, and maybe 8% body fat (the only body fat test I’ve had was with calipers).  In the fall of 2011 I was not in the best shape of my life but still around 180 lbs and probably 12 or 13% BF (that’s a big guess since it has been years since my last BF test).  Move forward to January 2012, when I started at CFW, I was 206 lbs and who knows what percent BF, let’s just say I was getting thick.  I had not worked out once in two months, except for 12-ounce curls, and my swimmer diet was still in full swing.
It has now been 6 months since I joined CFW and I couldn’t be happier with my decision to become a member of CFW.  As of July 21st, I weigh 179.4 lbs and am by far stronger than I have ever been.  My experience at CFW is not just about weight loss either.  It is also about strength, both mental and physical.  I can remember not long ago thinking to myself “There is no way I will ever push 135 lbs over my head”.  I am happy to say that I was able to do that less than 2 months into crossfit and just the other day clean and jerked 175lbs for a heavy single.  Although there are plenty of other significant strength and performance gains I have made over the last 6 months I think the more important ones are the mental strength gains.  I know that I am not the only person who can say that CFW has changed their mentality towards personal health.
Since joining CFW I have cut back on consuming alcohol drastically and changed my diet.  I can probably be considered 50% paleo (if that’s possible), which is a lot for me since I ate dairy and carbs with literally 99% of my meals 6 months ago.  It certainly has not been an easy transition but totally worth it.  I would like to thank Tony and Tanner for writing and sharing the daily articles and posts on the CFW website.  They have provided me with a wealth of new knowledge that I otherwise would have never gotten.  Also, thank you to all the trainers and members who make coming in to do WODs a lot of fun.  I am convinced that CFW is a world class gym and I couldn’t be happier to be a miniscule part of that.
I feel like I could go on forever about my experiences before and after joining CFW but I will end it here.  CFW is a special place and although I won’t be in Wilmington forever I will remember where my life changed forever.

Thank you Crossfit Wilmington!
Andrew

Left, Andrew 2 weeks before joining CFW, 206lbs and “thick.” Right, Andrew 179 lbs and as strong as he’s ever been. Congrats on your success Andrew, keep working hard!

13 Comments to "Andrew G. Success Story"

July 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm -

Awe Andrew….congrats dude. you have come so far…proud to have you at CFW. Congrats on all of the success.

• Albert Steed says:

July 24, 2012 at 8:40 pm -

Congrats Andrew. Awesome stuff.

July 24, 2012 at 8:48 pm -

Oh Andrew…you were one of my FAVORITE intros! I remember telling you during your intro that you would see results with exercise alone….but changing your diet was the key to true success. I still remember the look you gave me — like I was crazy to tell a college student he needed to eat cleaner. haha. Clearly you have made great changes and it shows.

• Jordan says:

July 24, 2012 at 9:21 pm -

Great work, Andrew! Keep it up!

• Gene says:

July 24, 2012 at 10:57 pm -

great job Andrew, keep up the hard work

• Tom says:

July 24, 2012 at 11:05 pm -

Quick question – On the 8×3’s — yesterday I treated it like a Westside complex and did 60 sec’s rest. Weight was heavy but manageable until the last 3 sets where I started to lose form but didn’t fail. Is this the intent or is an 8 x 3 with enough rest to be adequately recovered (perhaps not full CNS recovery – thinking in the 90 sec to 2 min range) to handle max 3 rep loading across all sets? Thanks guys!
    Tom

• Petey says:

July 25, 2012 at 5:57 am -

Young guys and beer….sheeesh. Good job man.

• Dawn says:

July 25, 2012 at 7:05 am -

Congrats Andrew. Keep it up. Hard work pays off!!!

• Meredith says:

July 25, 2012 at 7:24 am -

I have seen the hard work and determination Andrew puts into his crossfit wods. It is great knowing other college age people who, not only care about crossfit, but the lifestyle that pairs so well along wth it. Keep up the good work!!!

• Albert Steed says:

July 25, 2012 at 10:25 am -

Two Things –

1 – Beach tonight at 6:15 PM. Be there.

2 – Tough Mudder – Do it. We have a team running it on Saturday at 10 AM. We are planning on going for completion as a group and having fun.

You have been invited to join the CrossFit Wilmington Team as a Tough Mudder Carolinas: Sat Oct 27, 2012 participant

Please visit this link to to join the Team:

• No GOOD says:

July 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm -

Andrew thanks for sharing! I have enjoyed watching you get better even in those traditiaol style running shoes…but I see you have finally gotten your self a pair of flat sneakers for picture day ha. Good work kid keep it up!!!

• sara clark says:

July 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm -

Great job andrew!

I want to second albert- come join our tough mudder team! Itll be a great time and an opportunity to put some of your hard work to use outside the gym. Hope to see more names on the list soon. If you’re nervous about it feel free to come talk to me anytime.

• Tanner says:

July 25, 2012 at 4:49 pm -

Good stuff Andrew! Get fit when you’re young and keep those habits on into the future!