Alternatives to NSAIDs

By t. | In Articles, Nutrition, Today's Workout | on July 13, 2011

Anyone remember the post where Maria Sorg and I had an excellent conversation about NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, Naproxen Sodium, Celecoxib, etc.) and how they affect inflammation?  If you don’t remember it, check it out.  Ladies may find the info there very useful.

Maria and I chatted back and forth a bit (while Mike begged me to stop fearing Maria would take it out on him and right now he’s thinking “why do have to bring up old s**t?”) about how NSAIDs and their use for PMS and cramping.  Even though I felt I presented much science backed information showing how and why NSAIDs do not work well for PMS, Maria may still have trumped it all with a final statement of something like…  “Whatever! It works because I say so!”

Ha.  Just joking Maria, I don’t want to fight.

Anyways…  the use of NSAIDs for little, day to day pain is dangerous and not healthy.  We abuse them in the US.  We take them for every little ache, pain, pull, and strain.  It’s best to reserve them for use only in the case of a true injury.   Here’s a little article/interview with an MD about it: The Truth About Inflammation.

Look for healthy alternatives to improve your life and you can easily find them.  My recommendations are…

Opti EFA – When hurt, jack up the dosage to 15-25 grams per day.
Sinew Plex 2-3 caps / 2 – 3 times per day (with major meals).
Chondro Px 2-3 tabs / 2-3 times per day (with major meals).

-t.

Crossfit

3 x 1 min Handstand holds
50 Ab Rollouts
50 GHD Situps
* Partition as needed

Olympic Weightlifting
Rest Day

6 Comments to "Alternatives to NSAIDs"

• No GOOD says:

July 13, 2011 at 8:28 pm -

Why does Julie G’s award look like a minin JOSH?……

• Whitney says:

July 14, 2011 at 11:23 am -

I was just thinking about PMS and all that the other day. It simply isn’t an issue when eating meat and vegetables exclusively. I have unfortunately figured out that sugar does not trigger my MS, and consequently cheat with it. But, it does effect my cycle, if I cheat with sugar, my PMS (floodgates of evil: open) and extreme bloating happen. And that is with moderate gluten free baked good consumption a week before or during my period. I hesitated to post this frank discussion of my friggin’ period, but hey, half the CFW members are women, so what the hell. And if you don’t have a non congenital health issue to motivate you to go paleo, what could be better than the prospect of having absolutely no PMS, bloating or cramping during your period?

• No GOOD says:

July 14, 2011 at 12:18 pm -

Can someone please post a video of something being blown up anything with action in it to get this PMS stuff out of my head ha

• jen says:

July 14, 2011 at 1:20 pm -

No Good
    This stuff not only makes women’s lives better, but the men too. Think about it.

• drew says:

July 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm -

As a single guy with no desire to read anything further, I will rejoin the comments section tomorrow, haha.

Oh, and NoGood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkAgP_nDg4&hd=1

• No GOOD says:

July 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm -

Jen….blah blah blah blah blah …..did you say something hahaha. Drew sence you wont be back on here till tomorrow, thank you for the link, good looking out brother!!